Bus driver popular among student athletes

Ally Hudome

Mr. Enrique drives girls basketball team back from their game on Friday, Feb. 22, 2019

Famous for his lively and supportive attitude, students athletes are often greeted by Mr. Enrique’s friendly, warm smile when they board his bus.

Mr. Enrique shares the title of a plank holder, one that not many others share. A plank holder is a staff member who has been at Ocean Lakes since 1994, the year the school first opened.

“He’s always super nice and enthusiastic when we get on the bus,” said sophomore and swim team member Kate Watson.

Mr. Enrique attends most sporting events, and supports every sport team, often boasting as their number one fan.

“I enjoy taking the kids to their games, and getting them there safely,” said Mr. Enrique.  

Athletes all over the school know and love Mr. Enrique.

“Mr. Enrique always wishes us good luck by giving us a fist bump as we step off the bus, before away games,” said senior football receiver Josh McFaddin.

Not only a high school sports fan, but he enjoys watching professional sports teams in the comfort of his own home.

“I enjoy watching TV, and the Spain team play soccer,” said Mr. Enrique.

Mr. Enrique understands the needs and wants of student athletes, hoping and striving to be a mood booster. He plays popular stations on the radio to pump up the players.

“He plays the best music for us to jam to before our game,” said member of the field hockey and gymnastics teams, junior Jaedyn Williams.

Anyone can see that Mr. Enrique clearly loves his job.

“Seeing the kids happy when they win makes me happy,” said Mr. Enrique.