High school students need life skill classes in school

Browns 3A Economics class with 
Picture taken on January 31 by Makenna Miller

Browns 3A Economics class with Picture taken on January 31 by Makenna Miller

School is an easy system to navigate around. A good summary of a student’s life consists of memorizing the material, taking the exams, and forgetting the material. With that being said, some students feel as if they are not prepared for the “real world.”

The four main core classes of English, math, science, and social studies nowadays are way to exaggerated. The higher the grade, the more frustrating it gets. These classes get more attention then what they should be getting.

Starting with the graduating class of 2015, the class financial management and economics, that prepare students for handling money, became required. These classes teach the students about debt, credit, how to build credit, interests, and more. It is great that classes like these are required to graduate, but it only helps out a small portion of daily life.

“Only recently have classes been added to teach students the fundamentals of living, and these classes take but a year of mediocre work and negligible learning,” said Eden Elmore, alumni of 2016.

“In contrast, math is taught every year and reaches levels many who retire from higher education to work more blue collar jobs might ever need. However, it is to say that if a school system can prioritize something that not all of its students will use, it should certainly be able to prioritize something essential to living in modern society.”

Learning how to handle money isn’t useful unless people have a job. The students need to learn about things such as applications, how to get hired, where to start, and how to write a resume. The school system needs to start a full life lessons class that includes aspects people face daily. Examples include changing a tire, finding a job, insurance, and more.

According to guidance counselor, Chris Murray, the thought of a new program sparked where the local community could form a partnership with a few business organizations, and students could start job shadowing for upcoming years.

“Education that helps young people develop life skills has transformative potential,” said United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund, a company that continues to aid youth.