Students across America take action for safer schools

During the national student walkout, senior Autumn Robert s created and held a poster that read, “149 lives lost in 11 school shootings… ENOUGH”. Taken Dylan Young

On March 14 all across the nation, high schools anticipated walkouts to remember those lost in the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., as well as to protest against the government’s inaction to stop school shootings.

Walkouts began at 10 a.m. and ended at 10:17 a.m., one minute to remember each of the victims murdered February 14.

Over 2,800 schools participated in the national school walkout.

“I’m here to support the kids lost in the shooting,” said sophomore Robin White.

However, Robin’s sentiment was not necessarily echoed by others.

A majority of people who participated in the walkout protested the government. People like freshman Cyrus Sweet and sophomore Mia Higgins both criticized the government’s inaction. Many people said the government should simply make guns harder to buy.

“They have to raise the age to buy guns to 21,” said freshman Cyrus Sweet.

No matter how students thought to stop school shootings, they all took action to stop them.

“I’m tired of nothing being done,” said senior Autumn Roberts.

The school administration put a lot of thought and preparation into making sure the students would remain safe during the walkout.

“It was the student’s walkout and their thing, and we weren’t supposed to control it, just keep them safe,” said assistant principal Leah Nelson.