Potential members attend NEHS interest meeting

Sponsor Christina Frierman starts the NEHS interest meeting on Nov. 7 in room 134. Sophomores Jason Wieder, David Roulley, and David Lee are also pictured. Photo by: Ashley Owens

Recently, National English Honor Society held an interest meeting to provide information about the society and application process.

It was held in room 134 by Sponsor Christina Frierman on Wednesday, Nov. 7 during One Lunch. Students who applied are now waiting for acceptance letters, which will be distributed mid-December.

For those selected, the induction ceremony will take place on Jan. 8, 2019.

According to Frierman, NEHS is hoping to become more active in the school and community.

“We would like to get some more things going this year,” said Frierman. “We would like to go over to the elementary school and do some reading there and maybe do a youth book drive and have a book sale to raise some funds.”

NEHS meetings are held during One Lunch the first Thursday of every month in room 134.

At the meetings, “we mostly plan different events,” said senior Harley Middleton, who has been a member of NEHS for over a year. The group has planned to do a poetry slam, or poetry speaking competition, this year.

“Being in the society can benefit students,” said Harley.

“It looks super awesome on a college resume, so that is a plus. It really helps you learn how to work with other people and combine ideas, and it teaches you to be accountable and timely,” said Harley.