Newly launched school bus tracking app promotes safety for students

Josh Garcia

Students walk from their buses in the morning on Feb. 14 in the Ocean Lakes High School parking lot.

A new app called Here Comes the Bus, which allows students and parents to track school buses, launched for the students and families of Virginia Beach City Public Schools on Feb. 4.  This app is free and operates in real-time on mobile devices and will show students when their school bus is near their assigned stop. 

“We have 630 buses on the road each day transporting 45,000 students across 3,400 routes in the city,” said Executive Director of Transportation David Pace in a recent press release. “While we are almost always on time, this app will provide our riders, as well as their parents, real-time tracking information – something which can be particularly helpful during inclement weather.”

The app currently has a 4.6 star rating out of 5 on the App Store with 40,800 ratings. 

“It is a wonderful idea because parents can be reassured about their child’s safety especially in harsh weather,” said sophomore Victoria Gille. “I will definitely be an active user of the app as it can help me better schedule my morning routine.”

The app is only available for education transportation and academy routes before and after school. For more information on how to register an account, visit www.vbschools.com.