AVID celebrates inaugural, re-commitment ceremonies

OLHS Alumni Alexis Dixon returns and leads the induction as a speaker.

AVID, a program in pursuit of creating college-ready scholars, celebrated their Inaugural Inductions and Recommitment ceremonies on Sept 19. Members involved all grades 9 through 12 and were recognized for their exceptional academics. 

“As AVID scholars, this event was a time to commit to the principles of college and career readiness,” said AVID 9-12 Teacher and Site Coordinator Michelle McAfee.

“The main domains of AVID include writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, reading, in addition to character development and communication.”

Two OLHS alumnae, Nayeli Williams and Alexxis Dixon, spoke to students about how AVID helped them during college. After a video created by their celebrations committee, students were awarded certificates by AP Leah Nelson and signed a “Committed to Our Future” poster. 

“I really enjoyed hearing about everyone’s interests and what they would like to major in when they go to college. Another part was when every AVID student had to sign the commitment to our future sign; I thought that was really nice,” said one of AVID’s newest members, freshman Eve Tucholski.

The ceremony concluded with a candlelit recitation of AVID’s mantra.

“It was a special time for us to come together as an AVID family and celebrate the new school year,” said McAfee.