Gymnastics rolls undefeated

Amberly Zurschmit

Senior Sam Lee finishes up her bar routine as fellow teammates watch enthusiastically at Kempsville High School on Jan. 10.

Gymnastics continues to charm spectators with their recent meet against Kellam and First Colonial at Kempsville, and they remain undefeated. 

“I can see a positive change in the team dynamic this year. The team has been improving as the season continues on. The gymnastics team has been practicing five days a week and are constantly grinding out routines to the point of perfection,” said junior Brooke Gunter. 

The gymnastics team practices multiple times a week at the school in order to get ready for local meets, regionals, and states. Practice days consist of workouts/assignments for the team as a whole as well as individual routine work. 

“Coach [Jen] Ramey gives us assignments every day to complete our practice. She does a good job of making sure we are conditioned enough for regionals and states in the future,” said junior Leila Snellinger.

During post-season meets, five people compete at each event. During the regular season, six people compete. Four of those scores will count towards the team’s overall score. 

“Each gymnast hopes to have their best meet. The team is great at cheering for each other before and after each person goes. It helps keep the spirit and morale up throughout the meet,” said Ramey. 

Last year, the team size was cut down by 10, due to COVID-19 restrictions, but this year, the team is back at its regular size with nine new freshmen bringing different perspectives. Families, friends and fans are allowed to be in person and watch the meets. 

“Last year, we had a very small team due to COVID-19 and our family members weren’t able to watch the gymnastics meets; however, this year we have nine new freshmen who add a lot of value to the team,” said Brooke. 

The meet that was scheduled for Monday, Jan. 24 at Tallwood High School has been postponed until further notice. Regionals will take place on Wednesday, Feb. 9 at 5 p.m. at Kellam, and states team finals will be held on Friday, Feb. 18 and individuals on Feb. 19 in Leesburg, VA. 

“The team continues to prepare for each regular season meet and the Regional Tournament by giving 100% in practice each day,” said Ramey. “This team can make it to the State Tournament. It’s all about believing we can do it and knowing that we deserve to be there.”