Lanterns of love

Khadija Sissoko
Lanterns, each unique to their own, drift into the night on Aug 5. 2023, at Mount Trashmore Park in Virginia Beach, Va.

Hope, happiness and healing filled the air and waters of Mount Trashmore Park on Aug. 5, 2023.

The Water Lantern Festival made its return to Virginia Beach with a large showing of around 3,000 people. 

“The Water Lantern Festival brings together individuals from all ages, backgrounds and walks of life to join in one emotional and memorable night,” according to waterlanternfestival.com.

With the event beginning at 5 p.m and ending at 9:30 p.m, there was plenty of time to connect and cherish moments with loved ones. Each ticket included a lantern kit, conversation cards, a scavenger hunt and access to food truck vendors.

According to attendees, the night was super magical and brought about feelings of nostalgia from the movie “Tangled.” For others, the venue served as a peaceful time to self-reflect and let worries drift away with their lanterns.

Prior to the launching of the lanterns, volunteers were given the opportunity to share the meaning behind their decorated lanterns and who they devoted it to.

“I dedicate my lantern to my family and my loving girlfriend who’s helping me transition from the military to owning my own business in Georgia,” said Gabriele Brimith.