Fins raise awareness for breast cancer in October

Ryne Bracknell
Catherine Cozart and SCA Advisor Wendy Tate, sell pink t-shirts to raise money for the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation on October 13, 2023

Pink clothing and accessories empty the merchandise racks during October as patients and survivors are supported in honor of breast cancer awareness month. 

October brings graciousness and gratitude to those with past experiences with breast cancer.

“Breast cancer awareness month always reminds me that I am more fortunate than others to have had my mother survive breast cancer,” said senior Brooklyn Thomas. 

In order to raise awareness on breast cancer, the Dolphins will host a “barbie pink out football game” when the play Green Run High School for homecoming on Oct. 13, 2023.

“I believe that the pink-out game is a fantastic way to raise awareness for breast cancer,” said sophomore Ben Rosenberg. “A pink-out game is an amazing tradition at Ocean Lakes that every school should do.” 

To show support and spirit, the SCA is selling pink-out shirts for $15 through School Cash Online. You can order by Oct. 13, or purchase the shirt(s) at the game. Proceeds will support the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation.

“During our pink-out game, not only do the shirts match the theme, but they also give students a chance to give back to the community,” said SCA vice president Brandon Cheng.

According to SCA sponsor Wendy Tate, they will continue to sell the shirts on Schoolcashonline until next Friday, Oct. 27, unless they sell out beforehand.