Black cats often mistreated due to ancient myths

Kendra+Patton+enjoys+her+cat%2C+Echo%2C+who+was+a+rescue+from+the+VBSPCA%2C+and+she+now+lives+in+Japan.+Photo+taken+on+Oct.+7%2C+2023.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Kendra+Patton.+
Kendra Patton enjoys her cat, Echo, who was a rescue from the VBSPCA, and she now lives in Japan. Photo taken on Oct. 7, 2023. Photo used with permission from Kendra Patton.

Black cats across the U.S. are known to get a bad rap; however, this is not the case for all of these furry felines.

The superstitions of black cats started in medieval Europe, with people thinking they were associated with witches and shapeshifters, according to the Carnegie Museum of Natural History. Many Americans believe that if a black cat crosses one’s path, it’s an omen of misfortune. 

“I’ve always been a little weary of black cats,” said senior Donny Velazquez. “When I see one cross the street, I know I’m in for a bad day.” 

Due to the stigma behind black cats, many of these animals are prone to injuries. In fact, 30-35% of the admissions to the shelters are black cats, according to the ASPCA.

Photography teacher Alissa McCullough (Mac), who owns a black cat herself, has witnessed her cat being mistreated. Throughout her years of owning her cat, many incidents have occurred. 

“[My cat] was a year old. We heard him crying on the front porch at night, and he was shot with a BB gun in the back of his legs,” said Mac.

Mac’s cat, Vinnie, was from the SPCA. Mac was originally going to the shelter in search of a calico cat but fell in love at first sight when she laid eyes on Vinnie. 

“I went to the VBSPCA, and there was a sign next to his cage saying that black cats are less adopted due to superstitions,” said Mac. “Though I never thought that way about black cats, it always seemed silly to me.” 

The idea that black cats are evil is slowly being dismissed in this generation as more positive information about black cats is being revealed. Scientists have found that the gene in black cats that makes their fur so dark, actually gives them a great immune system. Studies of these creatures can even help find a cure for human HIV, according to MedicalNewsToday.

“These ideas about black cats are completely false,” said senior Holly Allison. “My black cat is the sweetest boy and has never fit the stereotype people set them out to have.” 

As an effort to stop the bad reputation behind them, there is now a day to celebrate black cats every Oct. 27, known as National Black Cat Day. 

“Black cats possess the same qualities as other cats,” said senior Kali Waterman. “A day for black cats is a step towards breaking the stereotype and receiving equal love.”

View Comments (3)
Sophia Ventura
Sophia Ventura, Staff Writer
Sophia Ventura is a senior and a first-year journalist for The Current. Outside of school, she enjoys going to the beach, concerts and hiking with friends and family. She especially loves to read, bake, nap and re-watch her favorite show, Grey’s Anatomy. Sophia hopes to write for the Stall Seat Journal and looks forward to learn more about journalism.

• D

DDNov 9, 2023 at 7:40 pm

I love black cats and I love this article. I am curious and want to learn more about the connection between black cats and stronger immune systems. My experience has been that black cats are the sweetest! They also look really cute next to orange pumpkins.

Reply
  • K

Kathy MitchellNov 1, 2023 at 1:16 pm

Just an update. I shared your article on our SCAT Inc. Facebook page. It was seen by 403 peoples, got 42 reactions and 11 comments. If you write another animal related article, please share it with me. I am on the board of directors of SCAT and we reach a lot of people. We have saved 413 animals so far this year.

Reply
  • K

Kathy MitchellOct 26, 2023 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for a great article. As a rescuer, it saddens me that the black cats are the last to be adopted. I currently have 2 solid black among my 11 bottle feeding kittens.

Reply