Health department covers children dental care

Fara Wiles
Evelyn Luma and Julia Candra hold a Sonic toothbrush on Oct. 30, 2023, at a family dentistry. Luma sponsors Ocean Lakes and donates both time and money to various efforts for students such as the ADC charity golf tournament.

Dental services are now available for free and low costs to students, provided by the Virginia Beach Department of Public Health. 

“People with low income might put off their health to try and save money; therefore, giving free dental service will allow for better health of these low-income patients,” said sophomore Aanya Patel.

To qualify for this program, patients must be under 18 and residents of Virginia Beach.

Fees fluctuate based on whether a student is enrolled in the reduced lunch program or if they possess dental insurance. Medicaid is also accepted.

Dental professionals conduct appointments with children who apply with the intent of improving and perfecting their smiles. 

“Dental health starts at such a young age and can affect someone for the rest of their life,” said orchestra teacher Angela Henry. “Educating young children on the care of their mouth and teeth is important as well.”

This program covers many different services such as exams, cleanings, fillings, extractions, sealants, restorations and X-rays.

“Your teeth are the first things that people notice about you, and it’s so important that it outweighs other attributes,” said sophomore Kaydyn Ismail.