New fishing club inspires members to share their passion for fishing

Aboubakr Sissoko and Caleb Tomberlin show off a freshly caught largemouth bass at Lagomar Lake on July 16, 2023.

Senior Caleb Tomberlin started a fishing club this year to spread his love for fishing.

“I wanted to start the fishing club because I want to share my passion of fishing with my school and show people how fun and rewarding fishing can be,” said Caleb.

The club meets in Shane Mann’s room (room 169) to discuss topics ranging from how to catch certain fish to safe fish handling skills. 

Everyone has a different reason for why they fish, with many people using it to get away from the hassles of everyday life.

“I’ve been fishing since I was four years old,” said Caleb. “My favorite thing about fishing is getting absorbed in nature and not worrying about stressors.”

For Vice President Corinne Scott, growing up fishing with her grandpa and uncle gave her a greater appreciation for the pastime.

“It has always meant [a great deal] to me because they were the ones who taught me how,” said Corinne.

Virginia Beach also serves as an excellent spot to pick up fishing.

“Fishing in Virginia Beach is unique due to the variety of ecosystems and fish,” said senior Owen Wilbricht. “No two days of fishing are the same in Virginia Beach.”

The city’s location on the Atlantic Ocean, combined with its extensive network of lakes, ponds and creeks allows for an excellent location for fishing to prosper. 

“It’s so amazing being able to fish whenever I want to because of how close so many amazing fishing spots are,” said Corinne. 

According to the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, even recreational fishers can make a difference in protecting and conserving Virginia’s waterways, and Caleb also plans to use fishing as a way to help teach about conservation efforts.

“Conservation will be implemented into fishing club by talking about fishing regulations, encouraging people to release the top breeder fish, such as speckled trout over 20 inches, and we may do a beach cleanup,” said Caleb.

To find information regarding club meeting day and other information, visit the club’s Instagram page @olhsfishingclub.

“It’s open to anyone, no matter the skill level,” said Corinne. “Even if you’ve never fished, you can stop by to learn how.”