Class of 2027 sells handcrafted holiday ornaments this holiday season

A group of finished ornaments sits on a table in Room 126 on Dec. 7, 2023. The stickers were designed by freshmen and were printed by Rebecca Strohm and her students, a real-world work experience for them. Photo used with permission from Kristi Bayer.

Class of 2027 plans to sell handmade, 3D ornaments to celebrate the holiday season in the upcoming weeks.

The fundraiser, which runs every school day from Dec. 5-19, 2023, will take place during One Lunch in the main hallway in front of the art rooms.

The cost for one ornament is $4, while the cost for two or more ornaments is $3 each. The designs range from Ocean Lakes-themed sayings to holiday symbols and colors. What’s unique is that each design was created by a freshman and assembled by members of the executive board.

Kristi Bayer, English teacher and class sponsor, reflects on the executive board’s decision to do this project.

“We’re excited that we came up with this idea because ordering ornaments that have dolphins in them or anything else is so expensive,” said Bayer. “This was a cheaper way to design things that fit our students, and we’re really hoping that the students and staff enjoy our designs.”