DDSC hosts annual Winter Carnival

Sophomore Lily Stewart  and Snowman enjoy the Winter Carnival in the cafeteria on  Friday, Jan. 19, 2024. Photo used with permission from Khadija Sissoko.
Sophomore Lily Stewart and Snowman enjoy the Winter Carnival in the cafeteria on Friday, Jan. 19, 2024. Photo used with permission from Khadija Sissoko.

The Dolphin Dash Student Crew (DDSC) hosted its annual Winter Carnival on Jan. 19, 2024. The event was held from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in the cafeteria, with a $5 entry fee. 

All proceeds went to The Bean’s Way Foundation, a charity made in memory of Gabriella Bianchi, the daughter of former OLHS teacher Kim Bianchi. According to beanswayfoundation.com, Gabriella drowned when she was a toddler. Bianchi created the foundation with a mission to educate people on how important water safety is for children, and to provide information on courses parents can take to ensure their kids can save themselves when in the water. 

“[The Bean’s Way Foundation] was chosen as our charity because we usually try to go for charities that involve our community and are addressing concerns of the utmost importance,” said DDSC President Tam Ha. 

In previous years, the carnival has raised money for charities with this same criteria, such as the LivOn Foundation. Music bingo and the carnival together raised $750 for the foundation.

“Due to having bingo and winter carnival together, the turnout benefited greatly,” said sophomore and SCA executive board member Carlie Wyles. 

This year’s carnival had concessions, dancing and games. Students could also head to the back of the cafeteria to join the SCA’s music bingo night for $1. SCA’s annual “Bondfire” was supposed to be held directly before the carnival, but was canceled due to bad weather.

“Winter carnival was a great event for families to enjoy fun games created by DDSC, SCA and other clubs,” said Tam.