The Current adopts a dolphin in honor of Spirit

Spirit+The+Dolphin+smiles+for+a+picture+with+The+Currents+certificate+of+adoption.+The+Current+officially+adopted+Chance%2C+a+female+bottlenose+dolphin%2C+on+Feb.+1%2C+2024.+
Khadija Sissoko
Spirit The Dolphin smiles for a picture with The Current’s certificate of adoption. The Current officially adopted Chance, a female bottlenose dolphin, on Feb. 1, 2024.

As a New Year’s resolution, The Current plans to adopt a dolphin from the Oceanic Society.

The symbolic adoption will help fund efforts to improve the health of marine life.

“With one in four dolphin species being at risk for extinction, it is important that we fund organizations such as the Oceanic Society, who can make a positive difference in the lives of marine animals,” said The Current’s editor-in-chief, Khadija Sissoko.

The Oceanic Society, a non-profit conservation organization, has promoted a connection between humans and the ocean since its inception in 1969.

According to their website, the non-profit leads several initiatives that aim to build “a healthy future for our world’s oceans.”

Chance, whose birthday is Feb. 14, 2011, is considered one of the most companionable dolphins. Oceanic Society partners to study bottlenose dolphins, such as Chance, for the purposes of conservation. By adopting Chance, The Current supports efforts “to protect dolphins and the habitats in Belize and worldwide.”

“Chance is… named for her ‘chancy’ behavior, frequently approaching our research boats and bow riding during behavior observations,” according to the Oceanic Society’s website. 

The school’s newspaper staff decided to adopt a dolphin after senior and staff writer Sophia Ventura found herself wishing to adopt a whale. 

“[Fara Wiles] asked if there were any dolphins, and I said ‘yes’,” said Sophia.

Wiles, the newspaper advisor, loved the idea.

“Why not adopt a dolphin? To honor our mascot?” asked Wiles in light of last month’s Stall Seat Journal article, written by Halle Packard.

The Oceanic Society offers different opportunities to assist in their conservation efforts. From casual donations to the adoption of wild albatross, people around the globe can lend their support. Contributors can also adopt sea turtles and whales, purchase merchandise, become a member, or enjoy a volunteer vacation. Proceeds from people’s generosity benefit their many programs, such as Blue Habits which works to promote a connection between marine consciousness and active participation in marine conservation.

“Taking care of the earth is our duty as humans,” said Khadija. “[It] is [paramount]… that we strive to make continuous efforts in preserving our ecosystems, so they are suitable for all forms of life.”