Ocean Lakes students participate in a math competition at Christopher Newport University

Students+gather+in+the+auditorium+to+prepare+for+the+first+round+at+CNU+on+Feb.+10%2C+2024.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Minh+Ngo.+
Students gather in the auditorium to prepare for the first round at CNU on Feb. 10, 2024. Photo used with permission from Minh Ngo.

Students from Ocean Lakes took part in a math competition held at Christopher Newport University (CNU) on Saturday, Feb. 10, 2024, from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

The competition consisted of an individual round and a team round. The individual round consisted of 30 MCQs in 60 minutes, with a ⅓ point deduction per each attempted wrong answer. The team round consisted of 12 FRQs, four minutes per question and a one-minute break between each question. 

Sophomore Nathan He, junior Rockwell Li and senior Austin Mao had the highest team round score, with Rockwell earning the highest combined score. 

“It feels great to get a win for OL,” said Rockwell. “I am proud of my team for working hard to get first place.”