MSA students showcase their senior presentations

Ocean Lakes senior Aboubakr Sissoko presents his project about the different types of thyroid disease on March 22, 2024.
Fara Wiles

Senior projects are one of the many requirements for graduation from the Ocean Lakes Math and Science Academy (MSA). 

The presentations consist of two types: capstone and research, both requiring 140 hours of independent work, an essay, a virtual presentation and an oral presentation.

Generally, students choose math, science or technology-based topics to prepare them for their future career path. Each student works with professionals in a field of their choice; however, this experience may differ based on the chosen career. For example, a student could shadow a surgeon and have the opportunity to scrub in on various surgeries. 

Depending on the student, each experience varies and is intended to prepare the student for the future.

¨As I complete my senior project, I look back on the many skills I learned throughout my shadowing and research and realize I am proud of everything,¨ said senior Allison Orchard-Hays.