Chesapeake Bay Art Association holds scholarship competition

Evelyn Wille
Art submissions exhibited at the Chesapeake Bay Art Association’s annual Membership and Student Submissions Show on June 25, 2022, at the Suffolk Cultural Arts Center.

The Chesapeake Bay Art Association offers a scholarship opportunity for high school students through the John B. Tenney Memorial Scholarship.

This scholarship was inspired by the life and legacy of John B. Tenney, the founder of CBAA and a self-taught artist who raised money for local students by raffling his paintings. 

“Periodically, Mr. Tenney would offer up one of his paintings for a raffle within the club. The money raised would go towards a scholarship for a local student pursuing a major in art,” said CBAA Scholarship Chairwoman Gina Buzby. “This inspired the [Chesapeake Bay Art] Association to name this scholarship program after Mr. Tenney.”  

This scholarship has evolved into a competition aimed at high school seniors who plan on furthering their education in art. 

“A student does not have to major in fine arts in college, but we do ask that all applicants be those who are pursuing the development of their art in some fashion,” said Buzby.

Applications must include three pieces of artwork in the student’s preferred medium. All mediums are accepted and judged together. 

The first-place winner will receive a $1,500 award, followed by a $1,200 award for the second-place winner and $1,000 for the third-place winner. Two honorable mentions will be chosen as well, and receive $500 each. 

The deadline to apply is April 1, 2024, and winners will be announced on April 17, 2024. Applications can be found on the CBAA website.

“I think this scholarship is really great because it pushes aspiring art students to create what they love without having to worry about the financial burden of college,” said senior Ashley Henry.