Students take a bite of the Big Apple

Marketing class visits Times Square for Jim Cartwright’s annual New York City field trip on April 10th, 2024. Photo used with permission from Dawn Kirkpatrick.

Eighty-nine students visited New York City (NYC) to see and experience the different art, architecture and businesses.

With the direction of marketing teacher Jim Cartwright and the help of nine chaperones, the classes saw a variety of famous sights such as Grand Central Station, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Color Factory, Broadway shows, Times Square and many more. Marketing students also visited BBH USA, an advertising agency, and experienced real-life marketing opportunities.

“My favorite part was the Color Factory, it was a fun way to end the trip,” said history teacher Jared Swift. 

According to Cartwright, he brought this trip to Ocean Lakes because of his former high school choir teacher. This teacher put himself at risk by taking his students to NYC back in 1982 when NYC was infested with murders and crime. Regardless of the danger, the teacher found a way to give his students a fun, different experience by working to make the trip affordable, which Cartwright strives to do every year now. 

“I wanted to create a memorable, lifetime experience for my students,” said Cartwright.

According to students, the most memorable part of the trip was the Spirit of New York dinner cruise, where everyone danced and lived in the moment. 

Cartwright hopes to continue this trip in future years and encourages students to join. Find him in room 104 for more information on the marketing class and future New York City trips.

“Our founding principal, Mr. Deviney, said that learning was too important to confine to the four walls of a classroom. You can learn [a great deal] on a field trip, stuff that can be life-changing,” said Cartwright.