Family Feud spin-off makes a debut

Khadija Sissoko
On Apr 9, 2024, the class of 2027 representatives listen to senior Chloe Minnis, the Fin Feud MC and organizer, as they prepare to vs. the class of 2025.

Inspired by the national sensation Family Feud, SCA hosts its first-ever Fin Feud, a jeopardy-style event unique to Ocean Lakes.

“We had the idea for it last year, but then it fell through, so I really wanted to give it another chance this year,” said Events Gold Chair Chloe Minnis.

Originated in 1976 and hosted by Steve Harvey, Family Feud attracts about eight million viewers per episode, according to The New York Times. 

“Fin Feud definitely had its own spin on the classic game, but it paid homage to Family Feud. I think it was a super creative idea, especially considering how virtually everyone loves Family Feud,” said sophomore Kaydyn Ismail. 

Some questions asked by Chloe, who orchestrated the role of Steve Harvey, include “What teacher would make the best superhero?” and “What is the most popular shoe worn at Ocean Lakes?”

“The main goal of Fin Feud is to entertain and bond as a student body. It allows the classes to interact at a level they might not have before,” said Chloe.

Round one started on April 9, where the freshman competed against the juniors with the juniors securing the victory. 

“It was like a game show that helped my officers and I get more comfortable with one another because of how we were all put on the spot and out of our comfort zone in the same scenario,” said Class of 2025 President Tucker Gates. 

During round two on April 16, the sophomores versed the seniors, seniors came out on top. 

“I really enjoyed seeing what everyone voted as the most popular answers; there were some interesting results for sure,” said Kaydyn. “We, unfortunately, did not beat the seniors, however, I think having a mixture of non-academy and academy students on our team really helped us.” 

The juniors will face the seniors in the championship round on April 30 in the Schola during One Lunch. The award is a mystery and will be revealed to the reigning team.

“I believe in the capabilities of my team. We had a strong performance in the first game against the freshman, and I think we will be able to hold our own. However, I think it will be interesting to see what kind of tactics the seniors employ to try and take the victory,” said Tucker.