NFL Draft welcomes highly-anticipated college prospects

College prospects and 2011 NFL Hall of Fame Inductees invited to the 2011 NFL Draft prepare for a photo. Their professional football career begins here. (2011 NFL Draft Class Invitees and 2011 NFL Hall of Famers/Marianne O’Leary/CC-BY-2.0)

“And with the first pick of the NFL Draft, …”

The phrase echoes throughout the NFL’s 104 years of existence, signaling the start of the draft. Former College football players eagerly await their names to be called by the NFL Commissioner while waiting in the draft room, surrounded by family and friends, or in the comfort of their homes.

The significance of the draft cannot be overstated for any sport, as a college athlete’s future is decided in a couple of days.

“The draft provides a chance for about 250 of the nation’s finest athletes to live out the dream they have been preparing for all their young lives: a chance to play professionally,” said the NFL’s Football Operations.

In the 2024 NFL Draft, highly-touted prospects such as former Heisman winner University of Southern California quarterback Caleb Williams, were awarded to the best college football player in the nation. As well as son of NFL Hall of Famer Marvin Harrison, wide receiver Marvin Harrison Jr. from Ohio State.

“People have a high expectation of them, coming out of college to play football,” said freshman Tulga Rentsendorj.

The draft begins on April 25, and ends on April 27, 2024. In the event, a seven-round system is implemented with each NFL team receiving a draft pick per round based on their seeding of last year’s results. A team can trade their picks for players, a higher pick, or anything else that satisfies their needs.

“All 32 teams have one pick in each of the seven rounds, going in the reverse order of the previous season’s standings,” said BBC sports writer Ben Collins.