VBCPS schools return to virtual learning

A rise in COVID-19 cases caused VBCPS to halt recent progress towards a return to school and assign all students K-12 to virtual learning as of Tuesday, Nov. 17. Hopes of return have been stomped which means students and teachers must continue to work through the struggles of learning through a computer screen.

“It’s taken a lot of the joy out of it. Personally, I fuel on the relationships I have with my students. I want kids in my class, so I try to figure out the best ways to deal with it. It’s made it less fun and a little less fulfilling,” said government teacher Darcy Pohl.

Long periods of social restrictions have proven to challenge some more than others; for many, loneliness and isolation can cause depression and leave lasting effects.

“It is a crucial time that all students are missing out on; there will even be trauma for some,” said English teacher Katherine Anderson. “The worst part for me is not knowing what will happen. I’m okay with preparing for the worst case, but the uncertainty and confusion make it much more difficult.”

Many worry that virtual learning fails to properly educate students; however, safety remains the main concern as officials work towards an efficient solution.

“The death rate, anxiety; as a nation, I don’t think we’ve taken the time to grieve COVID. We’ve barely had a discussion about 250 thousand people dying,” said Pohl. “As far as learning, kids will catch up. It will put people behind, but as teachers, it’s our job to figure out what they missed and how we can help them. Kids are resilient and they will catch up.”

The school board reinforced the decision, keeping all students virtual except special education students who have returned to the building.

“I don’t think we’re ready for a return back to school. I understand the administration’s goals to reintroduce a face-to-face learning environment; however, Virginia is not currently meeting COVID requirements. To try and enforce a face-to-face learning environment can risk the health and lives of loved ones and those around us,” said senior Malia Brink.