Class of 2024 crosses the stage, beginning a new journey

The class of 2024 tosses their graduation caps celebrating their achievements on June 15, 2024, at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. Moments prior, Principal Claire Leblanc declared them graduates of Ocean Lakes High School. Photo used with permission from Jessica Pagan.

The 30th annual commencement ceremony for the class of 2024 marked a significant milestone as 409 students celebrated their graduation.

Held on June 15, 2024, at the Virginia Beach Convention Center, the ceremony opened with the Ocean Lakes Choral performing the National Anthem and Alma Mater, followed by a welcome speech by Senior Class President Revanth Renukunta. Next, Dolphin Scholar Brady Wadington and Valedictorian Ralitsa Hovanessian took the stage to deliver their speeches.

“Each and every one of us has shown a level of enthusiasm, commitment and support for others that is not only inspirational, but critical to making today possible,” said Hovanessian.

The Dolphin Medallion is awarded yearly to seniors who exemplify outstanding leadership in various roles. Jaden Campos, James Cummings, Joshua Han, Kaia Jackson, Reagan Labert, Julia Lee, Meilin Ranjan, Revanth Renukunta, Corinne Scott, Jenny Vu and Vincent Yi received this award.

“Today, we celebrate and give thanks to every student here,” said Principal Claire Leblanc during her commencement address. “Each one is unique and filled with immense potential.”

Among the achievements of the class of 2024, 312 students graduated with honors, representing 76% of the class. Additionally, the class had five National Merit Scholarship finalists, led teams to 19 regional championships, secured five state titles, 15 individual state champions and received over $10 million in scholarships, according to Leblanc.

“Whatever journey you embark on, whether it is furthering your education, enlisting in the military or joining the workforce, harness the energy that makes us unprecedented,” said Renukunta.