ASL club welcomes all

Ari O’Brien
Juniors Kaitlyn Dougherty and Hannah Greentree sign good morning to each other in the ASL club in Room 243 on Oct. 2, 2023.

The American Sign Language (ASL) Club meets every Wednesday during One Lunch in Room 243 and welcomes anyone who is interested in learning sign language. 

“We explore different sign languages around the world and compare them to ASL, plus we sign songs and play games,” said senior club president Reyhan Akkale.

They practice signing to each other to learn sign language. 

The ASL club is a way to meet new people and also give students the chance to sign to deaf individuals. 

“The ASL club has been around for a long time and we get more and more club members every year,” said ASL teacher Mary Collier 

The club is planning to do a booth for the fall fest in October.  

“I joined the ASL club because I really enjoy the language, and I want to be able to hang out with the friends I make in ASL class. I wanted to join a club about something I really enjoy,” said junior Hannah Greentree. 

The club has big plans for the year. 

“We are planning a trip to Gallaudet University or having one of their spokespeople come and talk about the school and the programs,” said Reyhan. “We might also plan a trip to Busch Gardens towards the end of the year.”