October launches creative writing club

Club members Molly Nybo, Cory Duncan and Taylor Martinez share and critique their spooky short stories in Room 144 during One Lunch on Nov. 2, 2023. Photo used with permission from David Carney.

A new creative writing club met for the first time during One Lunch on Oct. 16, in Room 144 to discuss future plans. 

“I want to gain more confidence and improve my skills, so in the future I can write a book and share it with the world,” said sophomore Cory Duncan, who is crafting a supernatural fantasy story for the club.

Creative writing club is growing into a community where writers can join to find other like-minded students who will support them and their interests. 

“At the [interest] meeting, we came up with an idea for the first official meeting of the club where we actually do creative writing,” said club adviser Hollyanne Chesnut. “Students are going to have two weeks to write a short story that is of the spooky genre in celebration of the Halloween season.”

Club members will create a space where they can share their works and help each other through the difficult writing process.

“You’re able to bounce ideas off each other and get an outside point of view,” said sophomore Madelynn Dobbins, who enjoys creating plot-lines for her original characters.

Members are working to finish their short stories, so they can workshop them at the next meeting on Nov. 2.

“Sharing it will allow me to get better feedback and more criticisms from other students,” said Cory. 

While the club is still in the early stages of development, the doors are open to anyone with writing aspirations.

“I’m hoping that having other people who are their age and who have the creative writing mindset, can provide that feedback so hopefully the writing that these students are doing can actually be published one day,” said Chesnut.