Players ignite crowds with walk-up songs

Freshman Ipper Smith swings at the softball game against Salem at Salem High School on March 14, 2024. Ipper’s walk up song is “Let’s Groove,” by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Photo used with permission from Olivia Cirillo.

It is a perfect day at the ballpark; the stands buzz with excitement. Then it happens- the first few lines of some familiar song blast in the speakers, and the crowd goes wild. 

Walk-up songs are clips of a player’s chosen school-appropriate song that play as they walk up to the plate. 

“I chose my song because my coaches like 70’s and 80’s music. It also had to be a clean song, so mine was a good choice,” said freshman softball player Ipper Smith.

The two teams have a variety of music styles and genres. For example, senior baseball player Colin Benson, uses “Murder On The Dance Floor,” by Sophie Ellis Bextor, and junior softball player Olivia Cirillo, uses “Turn My Swag On,” by Soulja Boy.

As each player walks up to the plate, their name is announced, and about 20 seconds of their desired song plays. Music also plays between each inning, just like college teams do. 

“It really gets the crowd and our players into it,” said softball coach Michael Pollock. 

According to Pollock, not all schools participate in the use of walk-up songs, but when they do, there is a different feeling across the field.  

Walk-up songs give personality to baseball and softball teams around the country, from high school teams to the MLB. 

According to www.flobaseball.tv, they help direct the crowd’s attention to the game and give the players confidence as they walk up to the plate. 

“The songs get the people going, they are catchy so they get players and the crowd into our games,” said sophomore baseball player Tre Hamilton.

Hear these team’s walk-up songs at their next home games. Softball plays against Great Bridge on Monday, April 15 at 5 p.m., and baseball against Green Run on Tuesday, April 9 at 4 p.m.