Freshman builds her foundation

Bailey Schatti sands plywood in preparation for a new project in the workshop on Jan.14, 2024. Photo used with permission from Sam Rummel.

Inspired by her stepfather’s woodworking business, Bailey Schatti picked up a saw for the first time as a seventh grader. 

Woodworking is a unique art form that dates back centuries, incorporating craftsmanship with creativity. The beauty and functionality of wooden furniture, sculptures and structures have fascinated and impressed people throughout the years, according to facts.net.

With the mentorship from her stepfather, Bailey has learned techniques to build shelves, closets, dressers, counters and cabinets which she sells.

“I would consider it an outlet. It is something I can focus on and express my talent for this sort of thing,” said Bailey, whose favorite part about the building process is painting and sanding.

Bailey quickly became the best worker for her stepfather’s company through her intelligence, willpower and independence, according to her mother Melissa Engel.  

Although she has a strong passion for the industry, she sees herself entering a similar hands-on career field. 

“I am very interested in robotics or doing something related to what I do now,” said Bailey. “It might not be exactly my first choice, but I would hate to give it up.”  

Bailey has showcased many characteristics that prove her capabilities to accomplish anything. 

“I cannot say for sure how far I think this particular interest will grow, but I think this determination says a lot about Bailey’s character… striving for perfection with fine detail,” said Engel. “She truly proves anybody can do anything that wants to, no matter what gender they may be.”