Gymnastics coach selected as Ocean Lakes Coach of the Year

Jennifer Ramey congratulates junior Arianna O’Brien during regionals on Feb. 3, 2024, at Salem High School. The Dolphins finished as the runners up behind Kellam High School, but went on to defeat them for the state title. Photo used with permission from Amberly Zurschmit.

After leading her team through a successful season ending in a state title, Jennifer Ramey has been named the Ocean Lakes Female Coach of the Year for the 2023-2024 season.

As the head coach of the gymnastics team for 23 years, Ramey has proven herself successful. She has coached the gymnastics team to seven undefeated regular seasons, including this year where the team placed first at the VHSL Class 5 State Championship.

“My largest accomplishment has been winning two team state championships,” said Ramey. “It was certainly a team effort to win. I am also extremely proud of three gymnasts who have become individual state champions: Jessica Sauceda, Brooke Gunter and Julia Lee.”

As the head coach of both the gymnastics and cheer team, Ramey significantly impacts her athletes. 

“Coach Ramey herself has made a huge impact on our gymnastics team and it wouldn’t be what it is without her today,” said sophomore Carlie Wyles. “For me, I went from never doing gymnastics before to competing at states twice now, all thanks to Ramey.”

During the season, gymnastics practices five times a week for two hours. Ramey holds them to high standards and pushes the team to its full potential every day. 

“The motivation to do well and win is always present, so practice is very important,” said Ramey. “I know some days will be better than others, but we always want to have the most beneficial practice to be the best we can be.”

Coach Ramey’s dedication, determination and talent for coaching are some of the many factors that distinguish her as an amazing coach, according to Carlie. 

“At Ocean Lakes, I coach alongside some of the finest in the city. It is an amazing honor for my peers to have selected me as coach of the year,” said Ramey.