Gymnastics prepares for another undefeated season

Jennifer Ramey

The gymnastics team gathers together after they were awarded first place at their last meet of the 2022 regular season against Salem and Princess Anne High School at Salem High School on Feb. 4, 2022.

Ocean Lakes Gymnastics has been undefeated in their regular season for six consecutive years. They ended the 2022 season as Region 6A Champions and finished third at States. 

“For this upcoming season, I’m expecting to have a hard working, inviting team and an encouraging environment,” said sophomore Tatum Heckstein. “I expect a few new faces, who will hopefully bring along new skills and personalities.”

Gymnastics meets usually consist of each team warming up together, then competing at each event, which is floor, bars, vault and beam. 

“[It] is a hard sport…people don’t realize how difficult it is until they try it. Successful gymnasts make it look easy,” said head coach Jennifer Ramey.

According to Ramey, practices begin with the girls stretching freely in the mat room, then they are given assignments for their areas of focus to achieve that day. 

“This year, senior Mack Murphy, was hoping to get the team even closer, with more team bonding exercises. Things such as bowling or dinner together would both be beneficial in making the team as close as possible for the upcoming season,” said Tatum. 

The gymnastics team will lose five seniors after this upcoming season: Leila Snellinger, Mack Murphy and Jessica Kosovsky, who have all been on the team since their freshman year, along with Raleigh Moore and Brooke Gunter, who are All-State gymnasts. 

“This team has been nothing but incredible since my freshman year. From our high scores to hard work at practice and even days in the off season, it’s been a team I’ve been very proud to be a part of and will miss so much when I graduate,” said Mack. 

Gymnastics tryouts will be held in the gymnastics room on Nov. 14 and 15 from 2:30-4:30 p.m. Tryouts are open to anyone, however, they must have a current VHSL physical on file. The gymnastics team’s first meet will be held on Monday, Dec. 12, at Tallwood High School against Tallwood and Princess Anne.

“I have been fortunate for many years to have amazing gymnasts on my team. The teams over the last six years have brought more talent and a higher skill level,” said Ramey.