Wrestling team works to start the season with a win

Submitted by Paul Chapman

Sophomore Paul Chapman ties up with Green Run wrestler, working for a take down.

This year’s wrestling team hopes to build off their previous 14-4 season.  

Kempsville hosts the first match of the season against Ocean Lakes on Nov. 30, 2022, and Ocean Lakes hopes to leave in triumph, collecting their first win of the season.

“This is a great group of guys; they are close knit and driven on, and off the mat. They have an incredible work ethic that leads to their success,” said Christopher Barnhart, head wrestling coach.

Barnhart is excited to see sophomore Chris Castillo and junior Bryan Turnage, as well as his returning state wrestlers, who include juniors Logan Chambers and Jaden Campos, sophomore Paul Chapman and senior Nate Bushey, wrestle through the season and climb back to States this year.

“Ocean Lakes creates a legacy when it comes to wrestling because of the wrestlers’ work ethic, and the coaches invest time into each individual wrestler,” said freshman Maxon Deangelo.

The team then takes on Salem and Cox on Dec. 7 at Cox High School.

“It is not hard to live up to the wrestling legacy here because we have a great leadership role and coaching staff’s dedication, Coach Barnhart always tells us to trust the process and the success will come,” said Jaden.

The team goes head to head with Grassfield and Kellam this season, and they expect a strong match on both sides. 

“Expect a great season from the team. We have leaders on and off the mat that show their leadership through their kindness and respect… always ahead of the curb,” said freshmen wrestler Ben Rosenberg.