Seniors paint history

Seniors+unveil+creativity+through+their+painted+parking+spots+in+the+Ocean+Lakes+student+parking+lot+on+Sept.+25%2C+2023.+
Barrett Scharfe
Seniors unveil creativity through their painted parking spots in the Ocean Lakes student parking lot on Sept. 25, 2023.

For the first time in Ocean Lakes history, seniors are permitted to paint their designated parking spots. 

The class of 2024 is in significant debt due to the years of COVID. As a solution, seniors are required to pay a fee of $25 for painting privileges to raise money for the class.

“I’m very excited that the seniors get to paint this year; it’s been very successful so far, making over $2,000 for prom,” said English teacher Thomas Stewart. 

According to Stewart, Principal Dr. Claire LeBlanc desired to make the painting experience unique and special for the seniors only. 

“After several of the other schools started doing this, I knew it was just a matter of time before we could,” said senior Colin Benson. “I’m painting the leprechaun on the Lucky Charms cereal box.” 

Seniors have the opportunity to paint whatever design they please; however, designs must be approved before any painting takes place. Also, everyone is required to provide their own painting supplies. 

“The hardest part about the painting process was finding paint. I went to so many stores not even knowing what I was looking for,” said senior Brooklyn Thomas. 

Brooklyn suggests getting paint at The Home Depot, where she was able to get customized paint and the exact colors she wanted. 

“Seniors can only paint during the following days: Sept. 2, Sept. 22 and Oct. 9. I’m stoked to see the aftermath of the colorful parking lot,” said class of 2024 Vice President Melin Ranjan. 

View Comments (1)
Barrett Scharfe
Barrett Scharfe, Co-Editor-in-Chief
Barrett started journalism as a sophomore. He is entering his third year as co-editor-in-chief. He's captain of the volleyball team, president of both Spikeball Club and Pickleball Club and also a member of the varsity soccer team since freshman year. He's a Sandbridge lifeguard, surfs regularly and also particpates in skimboard competitions.

• L

LibbyOct 3, 2023 at 12:03 am

This is awesome! I love the school spirit!

Reply