Tyler The Creator, a genius of versatility and vibrancy

Infographic by Khadija Sissoko
A collage of Tyler The Creator showcases his eclectic style and inventive personality.

Like a well-curated makeup palette, Tyler The Creator’s artistic palette is a vibrant mix of colors, textures and tones. With each stroke of his musical brush, he blends elements of rap, R&B, soul and jazz to create a bold masterpiece.

At just 16, Tyler Okonma, also known as Tyler The Creator, co-founded Odd Future, a collective of rap artists. Now he is a 28-year-old record producer, director, fashion designer and the head of his own independent record label, Odd Future Records, according to thevogue.com.

“I have been listening to Tyler ever since I was in seventh grade. I remember listening to him and Kali Uchis on ‘After the Storm’ and on ‘See You Again.’ Ever since then, I have been hooked,” said sophomore Nyzier Gary-Privott. 

With over a decade in music, Tyler The Creator has influenced other artists such as Billie Eilish and the boy band BrockHampton, according to teachrock.org.

Although Tyler is largely known for his diverse music, he is also a fashion icon and inspiration for younger generations. 

“I definitely feel like Tyler has changed my style, but not because of his music, because of him as a person,” said Nyzier. “He is funny with great energy.”

With funky patterns and bright colors, Tyler’s eclectic style can be spotted from a mile away.

“Don’t be scared of color,” said Tyler. “I just want everyone to be cool in their own way.”

Unlike many other celebrities, Tyler does what he wants, unafraid of what others think of him. He not only challenges the traditional norms of masculinity through his style, but openly discusses societal issues like racial equality and the stigma behind mental health and the LGBTQ+ community.

With 30 million monthly Spotify listeners, he has grown significantly since the beginning of his career in 2009. 

“​​Tyler has music that is versatile, he is a great lyricist,” said Nyzier.

Tyler has won many awards that put him up in the ranks with some of the best musicians. Some of these include: two Grammy Awards for Best Rap Album, 2019 Music Innovator of the Year, three BET Hip Hop Awards, a BRIT Award and an MTV Video Music Award, according to imdb.com and revolt.tv.

Tyler has released several albums under different alter egos, with each representing a facet of his creative personality.

“I was never into doing what others told me. I always liked doing my own thing,” said Tyler. “Find your wings.”