Kobe Bryant makes an impact off the court

Kobe Bryant walks off the court on February 3, 2007, in Washington D.C. (Kobe Bryant subs out vs the Washington Wizards/Keith Allison/WikimediaCommons/CC BY-SA 2.0)

“I don’t want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant,” said NBA Hall of Famer Kobe Bryant.

Bryant earned a name for himself by displaying his incredible work ethic and leadership skills, and is considered one of the best basketball players of all time. While playing, he was a four-time MVP, 18 time All-Star and won five NBA championships. 

When people think of Kobe, the first things that usually come to mind are his legacy and the things that he achieved while playing basketball. However, many people are unaware of his contributions outside of the sport. 

His book, “Kobe Bryant: The Mamba Mentality,” was written to share his knowledge of the sport and inspire new generations.

He also formed a film company called Granity Studios, which tells sports stories from many different perspectives. Bryant’s own short film, “Dear Basketball,” which was a tribute to basketball he made during his retirement, was made through Granity Studios and won an Academy award for best animated short film.

Kobe also founded the Mamba Sports Academy, along with the Mamba and Mambacita foundation, where he coached his daughter and other young women in hopes to bring more attention to women’s basketball.

“I love that he cared about women’s basketball,” said junior and varsity basketball player Madeleine Fisher, “he’s one of the best players so it means a lot.”

Bryant made many charitable donations, including in support of the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Kobe continued to be an all-star, even off the court, until his tragic death on January 26, 2020.

“Basketball is something that will come and eventually go,” said Bryant, “the beauty in that is using that time to try to inspire others.”

View Comments (1)
Erin Broderick
Erin Broderick, Staff Writer
Erin Broderick is a sophomore and a first-year journalist for The Current. She plays basketball for Ocean Lakes, enjoys watching sports and spending time with her friends. In the future, she hopes to continue journalism.

• A

AAAAAAAAAAaMar 26, 2024 at 11:58 am

he was a very good person

Reply