Honoring the beauty of life through the poems of Maya Angelou

Tami Heilemann
Maya Angelou at the dedication of a memorial at the African Burial Ground National Monument in New York City, NY on Oct. 4, 2007. The monument was constructed to honor the memories of the free and enslaved Africans buried in Lower Manhattan. (Dedication of new memorial at the African Burial Ground National Monument in New York City, New York /Tami Heilemann/ WikimediaCommons/CC BY-SA 4.0)

“Hate, it has caused a lot of problems in the world, but has not solved one yet,” said Maya Angelou, a granddaughter, author and activist with a vibrant career spanning 50 years and a legacy that lives on.

Angelou published seven autobiographies, three books of essays, 14 books of poetry and multiple plays, movies, and television shows according to biography.com.

Angelou’s love of literary arts fueled her to write “I Know Why the Caged Birds Sing,” a poem and an autobiography about her young life.

“I love to use the poem in English class because she talks about strength and courage, two traits that are crucial to surviving life. She has become so relevant during an age where mental health is paramount. She has inspired millions with her stories and poems,” said English teacher Fara Wiles.

The autobiography tells the story of her tumultuous childhood: becoming mute after being raped at seven years old and living with her grandmother; the only one who believed she would speak again.

While the book’s vivid retelling of her sexual assault story revolted schools and organizations across the country, it was vital in helping other abuse survivors begin to tell their stories.

In 2014, President Obama awarded Angelou the country’s highest civilian honor: the Presidential Medal of Freedom. It served as a physical recognition of nearly nine decades of passion, suppression and activism.

“Out of a youth marked by pain and injustice, Dr. Maya Angelou rose with an unbending determination to fight for civil rights and inspire every one of us to recognize and embrace the possibility and potential we each hold,” said former President Barack Obama. “Her soul-stirring words have taught us how to reach across division and honor the beauty of our world.”