One man, one word

Michael Jordan on the 1992 USA Olympic Team. (MIchael Jordan/WikipediaCommons/CC BY-SA 4.0)

Greatness.

“In basketball, there are legends, and then there is Michael Jordan,” said Brand Vision Insights.

Born in 1963 in Brooklyn, NY, Michael Jordan has been dedicated to basketball since he was little.

As an adolescent, he did not make his high school basketball team as a sophomore due to being too short, but he would make it his junior year after a five-inch growth spurt.

After his high school career, Jordan entered the University of North Carolina and played basketball for three years. He was selected in the 1984 NBA Draft as the third overall pick by the Chicago Bulls.

During his time in the NBA, he won six NBA Finals, the NBA MVP five times, the NBA Finals MVP six times, and many other astounding accolades.

In his 15-year NBA career, the Jordan Brand was created, the first-ever sports brand surrounding an athlete. The brand revolutionized sports marketing and was the beginning of the star cementing his legacy into African-American history.

“Michael Jordan is considered a global icon, not just in basketball, but as a businessman and person,” said freshman Zach Waterman. “He revolutionized the fashion industry with Air Jordan and changed the culture of American fashion and sports.”

The five-time MVP’s impact as an NBA basketball player is immense, but the same could be said after he officially retired in 2003.

A decade after his retirement, Michael Jordan became a sports team’s first-ever African-American majority owner and CEO (Chief Executive Officer).

As the owner and CEO of the NBA’s Charlotte Hornets, he was eminent to the African American community.

Then in 2023, Michael Jordan set an organization-record $10 million donation to the Make-A-Wish.

The African-American community’s way of viewing his image can be described as one word, “Greatness.”