Head athletic trainer celebrates 30 years of involvement

Jade McAboy
Head athletic trainer David Lehan stands on the sideline on March 14, 2024, during the boy’s soccer game against Grassfield at Ocean Lakes High School.

“Trainer.” 

Head athletic trainer David Lehan takes to the field, running to the injured student. After further analysis, he determines the cause of pain and where it’s located. After 32 years of experience in this field, he is the best in the game. 

Lehan has been a part of Ocean Lakes since the day the doors first opened. He started as the head athletic trainer and a sports injury teacher, then later retired from teaching only to pursue training. This year marks his third decade as part of the Ocean Lakes community. 

¨I can honestly say I have loved working here at Ocean Lakes for the past 30 years; it is hard for me to believe it has been 30 years. It seems like it was yesterday,” said Lehan. 

Since he was young, he has always had a passion for helping others. Whether it is to help his mother with a task or to give a random act of kindness to a stranger, he has always sought to be a kind soul, and according to students, the person to rely on when advice is needed. 

“He taught me how to stay calm in a serious situation when dealing with different athletes and how athletes need different attention depending on their injuries,” said senior Taylor Cortez. 

He joined the Navy as a medic at 19 years old and later decided it was not for him. After finding further interest in athletic training, he decided to attend Old Dominion University, majoring in sports medicine.

For the past 30 years, Lehan has trained young students who have the same interests in sports medicine as he does, spending months, if not years, shaping them to become the best they can be in all ways. 

“Mr. Lehan has taught me how to be patient and stay calm even in stressful situations, but also how to act quickly,” said senior Sofia Pescoso. “He has taught me various taping techniques and different wound care strategies, so I have a better understanding of what is happening with the athletes.”