Football gets back into the gym

Sophomore+Taylor+Vogel+performs+a+bicep+curl+on+Jan.+11%2C+2024.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Sean+Defendi.+
Sophomore Taylor Vogel performs a bicep curl on Jan. 11, 2024. Photo used with permission from Sean Defendi.

Varsity and JV football have begun offseason conditioning in preparation for the upcoming fall season. 

“We are preparing by being consistent in the weight room and putting our all into getting stronger,” said junior Devin McGill. 

With last year’s record being 4-6 and the team being ranked eighth in the beach district, the team plans to engage in an alternative mindset than in previous years. 

“We are focusing on being the best team we can be while coming together to be successful,” said junior Noah Colon. 

Although the team lost 14 extremely valuable players this year, they plan to rely on the potential of younger players and returning juniors, according to Noah. 

“We lost some guys that were three-year starters on defense, it is going to have an impact, but the guys we have coming up are good players too and show vast amounts of potential,” said head coach James Yeager. 

Workouts take place on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m., with the main focus primarily being weight training; however, some days include a small amount of fieldwork.

Many of the players train outside of school conditioning, averaging 14 hours per week. 

“The bigger, the stronger and the faster you are, typically the better you are going to be at football. Focusing on getting as physically strong as they can be will help them on the field next season and help with injuries,” said Yeager.