Softball rebuilds in new season

Sophomore Gracie Wilson prepares for the pitch against the Kempsville Chiefs at Ocean Lakes High School on March 19, 2024.
Larissa Almendras

Varsity softball kicked off their season with a win on March 12, 2024, defeating the Landstown Eagles 7-1.

“An opening day win can set the tone for a good season, but we still have to work hard to get better every day,” said head coach Micheal Pollock.

The team has worked hard over the preseason with conditioning and scrimmages, aiming to better prepare themselves for the season ahead. In addition to the school team, many players play softball throughout the year on travel teams. 

“Our team has put in a lot of work, from winter conditioning to preseason scrimmages,” said sophomore Cali Watson, who plays for the Inferno travel team. “We’ve all worked hard to bring ourselves together for the team.”

Last year, they lost six, key players to graduation, all of which continued their athletic careers in college. They finished last season with 12 wins and nine losses.

This season, the team is led by captains sophomore Samantha Patterson and junior Olivia Cirillo.

“Losing seniors after last year has challenged us to get out of our comfort zones and play different positions, but everyone wants to support the team,” said sophomore Samantha Patterson.

Despite the setback, the girls are excited for the games ahead. They have big goals to achieve and hope to improve their record this season.

“Our main goal this season is to win our most challenging games and strive to work our hardest,” said Cali.