City Council delays Something in the Water 2024

Pharrell and Snoop Dogg perform onstage at SITW day two on April 27, 2019, in Virginia Beach, Va. (Craig Barritt/Getty Images)

Since 2019, Pharrell Williams’ three-day music festival Something in the Water (SITW) has taken place in April; however after their recent cancelation, the 2024 festival could be held almost six months later, according to the Director of the VB Convention and Visitors Bureau Nancy Helman.

“I’ve been to Something in the Water for the past two years,” said sophomore Aubrey Spagnoli. “The festival really brings the community together and we all share the love for Virginia Beach.” 

On Dec. 12, 2023, a Virginia Beach City Council meeting was held to determine the plan for this year’s festival where Helman presented slides with the title “SITW October 2024.” City spokesperson Tiffany Russell stated that the festival will make an announcement about the confirmed dates, and she could neither confirm nor deny the dates of the festival.

“As you may recall, Something in the Water expressed interest in new dates for 2024,” said Helman. “Staff has been working with the production team, and we are looking forward to an announcement in the future.”

In 2019 and 2023, the last day of the festival was canceled due to severe weather. Virginia Beach is commonly known for its rainy spring season, but moving the festival to October could affect the high amount of high school students that attend. 

“Festivals should be held in warm-weather months of spring and summer. Early fall is all about back to school for me; I doubt I could find time to attend a three-day festival,” said junior Lily Bond, who attended SITW 2023.

Although they may have canceled Something in the Water, on May 31, 2024, Something in the Lakes will be held at Ocean Lakes. Auditions for bands or solo acts will be on April 22, 2024. Check out @olhs_sca on Instagram for more info.