Boys lacrosse suffers the loss of 13 seniors

Dolphins warm up for their game against Kempsville at Ocean Lakes on April 12, 2024. Photo used with permission of Jade McAboy.
Jade McAboy

Despite the loss of all but two starters last year, the boys’ lacrosse team still holds talent.

The team started the season with a tough scrimmage against Princess Anne that resulted in a loss; however, they came back later that week with a win against First Colonial. 

“We have a roster loaded with talent and athleticism, but lots of guys are new to the sport. Once we get the ins and outs of lacrosse, we will be a dangerous team,” said head coach Spencer Perry. 

According to Perry, since tryouts, the team has made their identity as a hardworking team. Most of their improvements were made in defense and communication in the early weeks of practice. 

“It will definitely be a difficult season that will require a lot of effort,” said freshman Matthew McLaughlin.

Their first out-of-district game was against Norfolk Christian on Tuesday, March 12, 2024. They won 6-3, never giving their opponent a lead. 

Their first in-district game was on Friday, March 28, 2024, against Landstown. The Dolphins took the win 5-2.  

After Spring Break the team had a huge win against Salem 10-3 on Tuesday, April 9, 2024. 

“The team has great potential for this season. As long as we stay focused and work hard we could do great things,” said senior Luke Ruble. 

According to Perry, the team’s main strength is their defense, with some of the most talented defenders in the conference on the field. 

“Our offense is athletic, but our IQ isn’t quite there yet,” said Perry. 

Four captains lead the team this year: seniors Luke Ruble and Teagan Alexander as well as juniors Gavin Workman and Sawyer Adams. According to Perry, they are vocal leaders and are vital in assisting the coaches in smooth practices.  

This season they have one common goal: to compete for the beach district championship.