Varsity boys soccer makes a comeback

Senior+Canon+Robins+steals+the+ball+against+Bayside+Marlins+on+May+7%2C+2024%2C+on+the+Ocean+Lakes+turf.+Photo+used+with+permission+from+Sofia+Pescoso.+
Senior Canon Robins steals the ball against Bayside Marlins on May 7, 2024, on the Ocean Lakes turf. Photo used with permission from Sofia Pescoso.

After a rough stretch, boys varsity soccer strikes back with two big wins first against Green Run High School and then Bayside High School for senior night on May 7, 2024.

“We were certainly not expecting such a lop-sided victory; however, we felt if we played our best game, such as connect passes from back to front and covert on free kicks; we could secure a much-needed home victory,” said boys varsity coach David Wiggins. 

Minutes into the game, senior Shaun VanDeusen scored the first goal of the night, and senior Noah Ridgway followed suit.  

“I was so excited to score the first goal of the game, especially on senior night,” said Shaun. ”I think that first goal got all the seniors going and gave us a big boost to score more.” 

Seniors including Jesse Gutierrez, Ethan Herrell, Collin Murns, Rev Renukunta, Noah Ridgway, Canon Robins, Barrett Scharfe, Abou Sissoko, Ryan Studley, Dylan Tamayo, Caleb Tomberlin, Shaun VanDeusen, Nick Ward and Owen Wilbricht were recognized and celebrated in between the girls varsity game and the boys varsity game, as it was their final home game of the season. 

Along with Shaun and Ridgway, seniors Dylan Tamayo and Owen Wilbricht both scored a goal in the final half. 

Owen had a brilliant game playing defense and scoring his first goal of the season on a brilliant free kick. He has ultimately enabled the team to try new formations that allow them to use players in more offensive roles, according to Wiggins. 

The team’s success would not have been possible without sophomore Logan Carbone who blocked three shots during the game. 

“Making saves for the team always feels great, knowing that I am contributing to our success,” said Logan. 

To improve for future games, the boys focused on connecting passes from defense to midfield and breaking the habit of sending long balls. 

“As we prepare for Tallwood, and hopefully regional playoffs, we hope to continue to improve our communication; our ability to pass the ball quickly and accurately and play with consistent intensity,” said Wiggins. 

Boys varsity soccer is expected to play their last regular season game against Tallwood Lions on May 16, 2024, at Tallwood High School. Playoffs are set to begin within the next two weeks.