OLHS ranked seventh best high school in Virginia

Award+winning+high+school%2C+Ocean+Lakes%2C+on+the+morning+of+May+2%2C+2024.+Photo+taken+by+Aya+Smith.++
Award winning high school, Ocean Lakes, on the morning of May 2, 2024. Photo taken by Aya Smith.

Top-rated for its high scores in academics, diversity, teachers, college prep, clubs and activities, administration and sports, Ocean Lakes High School is officially ranked No.7 (out of 326 schools in Virginia) for “best public high schools in Virginia.”

According to Niche, a website that helps consumers discover schools and neighborhoods that are right for their families, this school received an A+ as an overall grade. 

“Ocean Lakes has a great community and offers a variety of opportunities for students to get involved. There are countless clubs that cater to different interests and many resources for anyone who is in need,”  said senior Lauren Sheppard.         

Along with placing within the top 10 high schools in the state, Ocean Lakes also placed number 10 out of 324 for “best public high school teachers.” 

“Our teachers use innovative and effective teaching methods that engage students. They go above and beyond to ensure their students’ success through extra help sessions, personalized feedback, or mentorship,” said Principal Dr. Claire LeBlanc. “Our teachers create a positive and inclusive classroom environment where students feel valued, supported, and motivated to learn.”

View Comments (1)
Aya Smith
Aya Smith, Staff Writer
Aya Smith is a first-year journalist for The Current. In her free time, she enjoys reading, going on adventures and collecting CDs.

• C

Christopher HeidtMay 20, 2024 at 7:36 am

Nice reporting and great to hear! I’d love to know what other schools ranked in the top ten.

Reply