Spring athletes need more practice space

A pile of dirt on the grass field in the center of the track covers the soccer goal box on April 10, 2024.

Despite promises of equitable access to the turf field, fair distribution is only sometimes given. As the spring sports season rolls around, four varsity teams and two junior varsity (JV) teams fight for equal practice time and space on the new field.

Unfortunately, the turf field is the only adequate safe space for athletes to practice because the alternative is the “grass” field that the track surrounds. Calling it a grass field is a stretch because it mostly consists of dust and dirt. 

¨The quality of the grass field often gets overlooked, and it is upsetting because it is crucial for our development as a team,¨ said senior varsity soccer captain Kimaya Ranjan.

Practice space influences the quality of training sessions and limited space can hinder the effectiveness of full-scale drills or game situations. This alternative “grass” field must be better. It hardly has grass and the holes are deeper than an ankle. It’s unsafe.

¨I am scared someone will get injured every time we practice on the grass fields,” said freshman Anna Orchard-Hays.

If the alternative field is below par, then there must be a better system for sharing the only equitable space to play. With the system now, each team has practice time on the turf the day before a game. Unfortunately, this is only true for varsity teams. 

There must be a solution to this problem. There must be improvements to field conditions. There must be equitable access for everyone.