Goldsmith thrives with endearment

Elijah Goldsmith blocks Landstowns defensive player from reaching the ball during a run play at Landstown High School on Aug. 24, 2023. Photo used with permission from Deon McGill.

As the ball soars through the air, Elijah Goldsmith takes off, passing each of his competitors one by one to receive the ball. 

“That man is so determined. When he puts that helmet on his mentality goes into game mode,” said junior Brandon Brown. 

Throughout his high school experience, Elijah has gone through thick and thin. Not only has he overcome physical injuries throughout his athletic career, but he has also learned how to play a rough contact sport while dealing with type 1 diabetes. 

“I am so glad I was diagnosed at a young age. Taking care of my diabetes has become a part of my everyday life,” said Elijah. 

When Elijah was 8, he was diagnosed with diabetes. Being diagnosed with a chronic disease changed his life forever. 

Elijah’s active lifestyle puts him more at risk for experiencing a dangerous effect of diabetes, called hypoglycemia.

“Hypoglycemia is an extremely low blood sugar, what will happen is the bodily organs won’t function properly because they won’t be getting the energy they need,” said head athletic trainer David Lehan.

Despite the risks that follow, Elijah plans to make this year unforgettable.

After coming off a rough season, he is more fueled than ever to ensure last year remains in the past. Between 24-hour week practices and additional hours spent in the gym, he is prepared to show off his skills. 

“Since the off-season he’s consistent in the weight room, consistent at practice and gives 100% effort,” said head varsity coach James Yeager.

He’s pursued football for seven years, and has pushed himself during every scrimmage, practice and game, not once has he ever held back. 

Although he doesn’t plan to continue football later in life, he is grateful for the experiences that have come. He’s become stronger physically as well as mentally. 

“He’s selfless. He always does whatever the team needs him to do. He’s a hard worker that does whatever it takes,” said senior Jordan McNair. 

Elijah is continuously surrounded by support from his family as well as his teammates and coaches. Constant inspiration is given by his teammates; with his teammate from middle school, Ethan Mapstone being one of his biggest supporters. 

“Elijah is always prepared for anything and never lets anything stop him,” said Ethan. 

This year marks his third and final season at Ocean Lakes High School, ups and downs have come throughout his years, but the experiences will last a lifetime. 

“We’re excited about what he’s going to do this season and to see how his senior season goes,” said Yeager.