Dolphins rise with purpose at Neptune Festival

Senior Kaia Jackson (second from left) waves as she represents Ocean Lakes as a Neptune Princess during the Neptune Parade on Sept. 30, on Atlantic Ave. in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Photo used with permission from Kelly Matlock.

The 49th annual Neptune Festival weekend concluded Virginia Beach’s tourist season, welcoming more than 400,000 people.

From Sept. 29 to Oct.1, over 40 activities, such as a world-class sandcastle competition, numerous athletic competitions, an art show, air show and the famous Neptune Parade, consumed 30 blocks of the boardwalk. 

This year’s festival was especially memorable to the Ocean Lakes Dolphins because it made its first appearance after being canceled for three consecutive years due to COVID-19. 

“Honestly, it wasn’t a big deal to me until this year,” said band captain Ashani Warusavitharna.This was actually the first time we competed [during the Neptune Festival] in a very long time because COVID took away [many] of the parades.”

With an almost perfect score from the judges, the marching band was awarded first place during the Neptune Festival Grand Parade on Sept. 29.

“It was a really exciting experience since the bands ranged from elementary percussion ensembles all the way to an adult bagpipe band,” said Ashani.

As the marching band made their way along Atlantic Ave., senior Kaia Jackson served as a Neptune Princess on the Royal Court.

Individuals of the Royal Court are a visible embodiment of community service and are recognized as role models in the city, according to neptunefestival.com.

“Besides being a princess and wearing a tiara, getting to participate in the Neptune Festival in this way was so unique,” said Kaia. “For me, being a Neptune princess is an opportunity for me to connect with my community in ways that had never occurred to me.”

Kaia and Ashani had a great time, however, they weren’t the only ones who did.

“[The sandcastle contest] is a talent to be shown especially in the Beach. It brings the community together because we grew up building sandcastles. Seeing the sizes of the sandcastles is highly unique because you don’t see it very often,” said junior Sincere Barcey.

32 world-class sand sculptures from all over the globe competed in the sand sculpting championship that took place at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Sculptures were limited to only three days of sculpting, with the hopes of taking home a grand cash prize. 

Although Sincere wasn’t involved in the sand sculpting contest, he greatly enjoyed being a spectator. 

“It’s cool getting to experience something that not everybody in the world can experience,” said Sincere.