Water polo treads with spirit

Senior team captain Sam Lindsey prepares to block a shot attempted by the Princess Anne and Salem combined team on Sept. 16, 2023 at the Princess Anne Recreation Center. Photo used with permission from Caroline Jackson.

The Ocean Lakes Water Polo Club perseveres through the season.

Last year, the team placed second in the championship against Cox High School, but this year, they beat them during the regular season. The team believes they have a chance to win Regionals.

“It felt great, but I have a feeling I’m going to be more proud when we go into the finals and semifinals,” said water polo coach Jared Swift.

Swift played water polo in high school and college and said that he “jumped at the opportunity” to start a club.

The team currently has 14 members and practices three times a week at the Princess Anne Recreation Center. Leading the team are two senior captains, Reagen Bates and Sam Lindsey.

“With water polo there is limited pool space, a lot of the teams practice together,” said Bates. “Games are so much more fun because you know the other team, and you are playing against your friends.”

Another member of the team, sophomore Caroline Jackson, is entering her second year as a club member. 

“I was at the freshman orientation, and there were some people from the team there,” said Jackson, “I went to the first practice just to try it out.” 

Like many of the water polo athletes, Caroline is also on the swim team; however, past swimming experience is not required in order to play.

“I love that it is such a team sport,” said Jackson. “Everyone is super nice, and it’s great exercise.”