Marsha P. Johnson, the woman who paid it no mind

Marsha P. Johnson advocates for LGBTQ+ rights in 1997. (Marsha P. Johnson 1970’s/Hank O’Neal/WikimediaCommons/Public domain)

Flaming red heels and colorful wigs. Bright artificial fruit and sparkling robes. The mother of a generation, Marsha P. Johnson.

As a child, Marsh P. Johnson experimented with feminine styles in her New Jersey town, but felt the need to stop after being sexually assaulted by a 13-year-old boy.

It is no wonder that as soon as she graduated, she escaped to NY, immersing herself in the vibrant drag scene. 

Her first years in NY were spent creating her iconic style and performing with her drag group “Hot Peaches.”

Due to the change of 1960’s New York, she picked her name, Marsha P. Johnson. The middle initial stood for “pay it no mind,” a phrase she used many times when people questioned her gender. 

After taking part in the Stonewall riots, she dove into the fight for equal rights and became known as St. Marsha, a leading figure in NY’s Gay Liberation Movement.

During this time, she and her longtime friend, Sylvia Rivera, established Street Transvestite Action Revolutionaries (STAR), a program for the housing of homeless LGBTQ+ youth.

“Marsha and I had a building on Second Street, which is called STAR House… And now we are taking care of kids,” said Rivera. 

When the AIDS crisis began, Johnson advocated for her friends, raising money and public awareness for the life ending crisis, even after testing positive for HIV herself. 

“Darling, I want my gay rights now. I think it is about time the gay brothers and sisters got their rights… especially the women.”