Kendrick Lamar, better than just “alright”

Kendrick Lamar performing at TD Garden on July 22, 2017, in Boston, Massachusetts. This concert was on the tour of his Pulitzer-winning album, “DAMN.” (Kendrick Lamar The DAMN. Tour at TD Garden (Boston, MA)/Kenny Sun/WikipediaCommons/CC-BY-2.0)

Kendrick Lamar repeatedly writes down “alright” onto a freshly-printed, cream-colored, white sheet of paper. Only he knows how this soon became one of the greatest works of art ever created. 

Regarded by many as the greatest rapper of all time, Kendrick Lamar greatly impacted the arts. His music is beloved by many people, including his 52.3 million monthly listeners on Spotify. His most listened to song, “Humble,” has over two billion streams, according to Chartmasters, an .org site, dedicated to the music industry.

He has won many awards, including becoming the only musician outside the classical and jazz genres to be awarded the Pulitzer Prize for music. He has the third most Grammy wins out of any rapper and was the executive producer on the Black Panther soundtrack.

Lamar grew up in Compton, living a tough life and relying on food stamps and welfare; he once experienced homelessness. However, these challenges made him who he is today as one of the greatest rappers of all time. He has generational talent and has been changing the rap atmosphere his whole career.

“Me, as a person, I grow. I’m like a chameleon. You know?” said Lamar. “That is a gift and curse for me. But more so a gift, because it never puts me in a box.”