School kicks off prior to Labor Day

Virginia Beach Public Schools publicizes the 2024-2025 school schedule. This calendar presents the first day of school as Aug. 26, 2024, rather than the day following labor day.
Infographic by Virginia Beach City Public Schools

The Virginia Beach School Board voted to start the upcoming school year a week before Labor Day. 

The new 2024-2025 calendar marks Aug. 26 as the first day of class, and June 13 as the last.

Members of the community were asked to fill out a survey to help determine the start of the new school year. Although 64% voted in favor of a pre-labor day start, many individuals chose not to respond.

“I feel that it is too early to start, and we should have the whole month of August off,” said freshman Hailey Macgregor. “We as students work hard and deserve a longer break.”

Thirteen staff days will be strategically placed throughout the year instead of the traditional eight. This provides staff with additional flexibility within their schedules. 

Other public school districts, such as Norfolk, Suffolk and Chesapeake, are also considering the new schedule. 

Virginia Beach Education Association described that the change will promote better working and learning conditions.