The Lakes come alive with the Sound of Music

The Von Trapp children listen attentively as Maria teaches them to sing. The cast, ranging from freshmen to seniors, performed the entire play six times over the course of five days. From back to front, left to right: junior Lyla McGowen, senior Jae Cook, freshman Harper McGee, junior Andrew Friedman, freshman Abby Boomer, sophomore Anneliese Wedertz, junior Marty Hester and sophomore Grace Kavanaugh. Photo used with permission from Claude Blanchard.

Ocean Lakes Theatre Company (OLTC) announces its production of the classic musical “The Sound of Music.” 

The Sound of Music takes place in 1938, but was released to the public in 1965. It tells the story of a girl named Maria who takes on a job as governor to a large, prestigious family while she decides whether or not to become a nun.

According to Britannica, the film reigned for five years as the highest-grossing film in history.

Live performances will take place April 25-27 at 7 p.m., in the auditorium. Performances begin on Thurs., April 25 at 7 p.m., then continue on Friday at 7 p.m. The last three shows will take place on Saturday at 2 and 7 p.m. and finally on Sunday at 3 p.m.

“Over 105 student actors, crew, technicians and musicians, along with many dedicated adults, have poured their hearts into this amazing collaboration of the arts since February. Their hard work and passion have been met with standing ovations for each performance,” said Principal Dr. Claire LeBlanc.

Tickets are $10 and must be purchased ahead of time through gofan.co. The crew is excited to share the play with the community for many reasons.

“My favorite scene is definitely the party scene. We have a bunch of opera singers, and the nuns are amazing. We also have a live pit and a live orchestra,” said freshman Jordan Magana, who helps with costumes and choreography for the play. “The 30th season of OLTC will go down as the highest-grossing season yet.”

Look for the posters displayed around the school to find the QR code attached for purchasing tickets. If you have any questions, stop by Room 108.

“I am most excited for everyone to see a classical musical come to life on the Ocean Lakes stage. Our crew has been putting their all into this; it is going to be a great time,” said junior hair and makeup co-manager Grace Melendéz.